Dear brothers and sisters in Christ
Warmest Greetings of Love and Peace from all your pastors. Today, we begin a new month and the extension of the MCO. Life is still uncertain but our hope in Christ remains unchanged. As we read the news of the pandemic, it doesn’t seem to get better and maybe for some of us, our fear and doubts also grow.
- This month of April is very significant for us as Christians because next week, we observe Holy Week :
- On Sunday (5 April), it is Palm Sunday when Jesus entered Jerusalem on a donkey to the greetings of shouts of Hosannas (Matthew 21:1-11, Mark 11:1-11, Luke 19:29-44, John 12:12-19)
- But only in Luke 19:41-44, it is recorded that Jesus wept for Jerusalem.
- Then on Thursday, we will observe Maundy Thursday (Maundy from the Latin word “mandatum,” which means “commandment.” It refers to when Jesus, in the Upper Room during the Last Super, said to the disciples: “A new commandment I give you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another) (Matthew 26, Mark 14, Luke 22)
- And on Friday, we will observe Good Friday, the day we remember the death of Jesus Christ on the cross for the whole world. (Matthew 26, 27: Mark 14,15; Luke 22, 23; John 18,19)
- And on Sunday, 12 April, we will celebrate Easter Sunday. (Matthew 28, Mark 16, Luke 24, John 20)
- But with the MCO, the usual ways of our observance of these significant events cannot be done. Instead, we continue to remember what God has done, is doing and will do in our lives as we go through these few weeks.
I would like to encourage all of you to read the passages mentioned above, individually or as a family.
For April, the Live Streaming from the Masland church will continue.
Tomorrow night, our prayer meeting will be at 7:15-7:45pm (Chinese) and 8-8:30pm (English). We will send you the link tomorrow.
On Maundy Thursday (9 April), we will observe it in our homes with our families and have a Love Feast together. The Liturgy will be sent next week.
Then, from 9pm Thursday till 2pm on Friday, we want to encourage Small groups, fellowship groups etc to take up an hour slot to pray through the night as we remember how Jesus Christ spent time in prayer before He faced the cross.
At the same time, we hope that you will join us to fast from Thursday till Friday after Good Friday Service.
For the Good Friday service, we will have live streaming from FMC and after the service, we will break fast together.
Last week, our President preached the sermon entitled Peace in Panic reminding us of the Peace we have in Jesus Christ and hence I leave these words of Jesus for you again.
Jesus says “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”
Love and prayers
Rev Lenita Tiong
(on behalf of the whole team)
No responses yet